Dial-up modems have always been a pain on Linux. I got this one working though.
System: old PC running Ubuntu 10.10 (yes, still).
Modem: PCI card with Agere DSP chipset — i.e. a 'winmodem'.
Scanmodem reveals that it will work with the 'martian' driver, which is available on Ubuntu as packages 'martian' and 'martian-source'.
Having installed the packages, there is still some work to do which has to be repeated every time the Linux kernel gets updated:
- Make sure that you've got the linux-headers-xx package that matches your current kernel.
- Now you can run 'martian-modem –daemon' which sets up the modem as /dev/ttySM0
- I found that, after rebooting, it all Just Worked — /dev/ttySM0 was there and accessible.
- So I could set up Gnome PPP to use /dev/ttySM0
(Those instructions are fairly minimal, but you should get the idea.)
I was working on a client's laptop, on which I'd installed Ubuntu 9.04 a few years ago and it hadn't been updated since then.
I wanted to bring it up to date, and knew that the client wouldn't want the look-and-feel of it to change radically, so to avoid Unity and Gnome 3, I decided to install Xubuntu 11.10.
I backed everything up, expecting to do a clean install of the new system. But the Xubuntu installer offered to upgrade directly from 9.04, so I tried it, and it worked!
The only minor glitch was that Thunderbird didn't find the old profile. I had to rename ~/.mozilla-thunderbird to ~/.thunderbird, and then that worked too.
I've finally got my MSI-branded webcam working with Skype 2.2 on Ubuntu 10.10, with help from here.
All it took was a simple wrapper script to invoke an extra library.